Mobile Phone Policy
The school recognises that there are times when it is genuinely appropriate and useful for students to have access to a mobile phone - for example, to contact parents in emergencies, to confirm or change a collection time after drama or music rehearsals or sports practice. It is not necessary, nor acceptable, for mobiles phones to be switched on or used during school lessons. They can be a distraction to students, a disruption to classes and they also pose a security problem. As a result, students are discouraged from bringing them to school.
Any student, who is feeling unwell at school and needs to go home, must arrange this through the nurse in the Health Centre. Under no circumstance may students use mobiles or to contact home and make arrangements to leave.
The following policy applies with respect to mobile phones:
- as a general rule, mobile phone use by students should only be in cases of emergency or genuine need
- courtesy, consideration of and respect for others, are paramount at all times
- they are brought to and kept at school, and used entirely at their owner’s risk. The school cannot accept any responsibility for theft, loss, damage or health effects (potential or actual) resulting from mobile phone use. Students and parents should recognise, however, that mobile phones are highly prized targets for theft and, accordingly, phones should always be stored in a safe and secure place
- parents and students should ensure that mobile phones are properly and adequately insured as personal property
- mobile phones must be switched off during lessons, private study times or if they are stored in a locker. They should not be used in any manner or place that is disruptive to the normal routines of the school or to other people. Usage includes the sending and receiving of text messages or data, playing games and use as calculators
- non-observance or breach of these rules may result in the mobile phone being confiscated and privileges restricted or withdrawn. If the mobile phone is confiscated, it will need to be collected from a Deputy Principal at the end of the school day. Staff cannot accept any responsibility for a mobile phone during the period in which it is confiscated
- mobile phones are not to be brought into examinations.
- IMPORTANT NEWS
Year 5 Parent Evening
Yr 5 parents are invited to attend an information evening re Year 7 2015 on Monday 29 July @ 6.45pm
Year 10 Subject Selections
will commence 18 June. Click the SSO logo to make your selections or make an appointment.
Year 10 Parent Evening
Yr 10 parents are invited to attend subject specific sessions on Tuesday 18 June @ 6.30pm
The 2013 Calendar of Events can be found in the NEWS tab.
Term 2 concludes for students on Friday 5th July.
Term 3 commences for students on Tuesday 23rd July.
In Terms 2 & 3 the shop is open each Monday 1pm to 4pm, and Wednesday 8am to 11.30am.
Due to the building project the main car park is now out of use. Parents are asked to drop off & pick up either on Ardessie St or Links Rd. The front driveway is NOT a kiss & drive zone.